Google

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Carl Lewis on Bush's use of the Olympics

I told my father recently that I was secretly hoping the Iraqi soccer team would lose and lose quickly, and not out of any dislike for the team. Indeed, under any other American administration I certainly would be pulling for them. I had this fear, however, that the Bush team would have half the American south believing that Bush himself coached the Iraqi team. Anyway, here's a little passage I snatched from the Drudge report, which makes me feel better about it all.

Olympic gold hero accuses Bush

Carl Lewis, who won nine Olympic gold medals in athletics in a record-breaking career, condemned Bush for using the presence of Iraqi and Afghan teams in Athens in a television advertisement to boost his chances of re-election. Criticizing Bush for linking his foreign policy with the two countries being allowed to compete here, Lewis said: 'I felt that was disingenuous. It is funny that we boycotted the 1980 Games [in Moscow] in support of Afghanistan, and now we're bombing Afghanistan,' he told the Athens News yesterday.

...

Iraq's footballers, who unexpectedly reached the semi-finals here, made clear last week they disliked the advertisement and regarded American soldiers in Iraq as occupiers rather than liberators. Bush was planning to visit the Greek capital and attend yesterday's football final if Iraq had been involved, but they lost in the semi-finals last week. He was also criticized for misusing without permission Olympic symbols, which are protected emblems.


I'll bet I'm not the only one who was guiltily hoping they'd fall short of the gold....right? right? c'mon...