Google

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Woman eats 38 lobsters in Kennebunk, Maine

the story

Well, I was out of town for the "World Lobster Eating Contest," but I'm delighted to report that it happened in Kennebunk. I wish I could have been there to do some on-the-scene reporting, but sadly that was not in the cards. Anyway, I'd be out of line if I didn't mention it at all.

The best part, of course, is that Kennebunk (not Kennebunkport) got the byline in the AP news release; in that vein, I'm thinking about organizing the World Squirrel-meat Eating Championships in Old Alewive (part of West Kennebunk, ME) sometime next year. Maybe if I hold it the same weekend we can get some repeat competitors too, and maybe even a two-event maine-eats combined champion? We'll see.

I am sorry to see that a Mainah didn't win it, although not surprised. It would take someone from out of state to want to participate seriously in something like this. We could have at least had that little Japanese guy who eats 50 something hot dogs on cony island once a year? Anyway, congratulations to Sonya Thomas of Alexandria VA, who regardless of her stomach capacity, is probably not feeling so hot today. Maybe the $500 prize will cover the cost of having her stomach pumped?