Google

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

wow, Alan. wow.

Alan Keyes has really refined his vision since his two stunning presidential attempts. Views like these are going to help him a ton in his underdog race against Barack Obama. I guess the GOP chose him as a concession candidate? Then again, I'm not really sure I understand choosing Keyes even in that case. Maybe the singled him out as one of the few who could make Bush look like a 'compassionate conservative' by comparison now that it's election time again? Here's one little sound-bite I couldn't pass up:

"I would still be picking cotton if the country's moral principles had not been shaped by the Declaration of Independence," Keyes said. He said Obama "has broken and rejected those principles - he has taken the slaveholder's position." -Alan Keyes, US Senate Candidate


Wait if America's moral principles were shaped by the Declaration of Independence, why was slavery permitted under the US Constitution eleven years later? Why weren't women allowed to vote until 1920, and why couldn't blacks vote in most parts of the country until even later? I don't think portraying Obama as the anti-Declaration of Independence candidate is going to get you too far, bud. Eventually someone is going to ask you to explain how, exactly, he "has taken the slaveholder's position," and you're going to be just as baffled as I am. Only you're going to look sillier because you're the one who said it.

I couldn't find this quote in context anywhere. I'm not sure I can even imagine any context in which it would make much sense. If anyone knows where or why this was said, that'd be good. Post it in a comment. I just stole it from a yahoo/AP news article. Anyhow, good luck champ. You've never won an election in your life, and I'm certain that you're going to shine this time around.