Google

Thursday, October 21, 2004

sox, jon stewart, and moscow...

so the red sox came back from 0-3 to beat the yankees. first team in history to lose the first three and come back to win the last four. it has to be the start of something, it has to be the start of something....

jon stewart. i'm not going to get into lengthy commentary because virtually every politics blog on the net has been all over this story, but if you hadn't heard about jon stewart's appearance on crossfire - well you're probably in the middle of russia too. you can read the transcript or if you're fortunate enough to have a real internet connection at your disposal, you can watch the video. here's a random excerpt:


CARLSON: Jon, Jon, Jon, I'm sorry. I think you're a good comedian. I think your lectures are boring.
STEWART: Yes.
CARLSON: Let me ask you a question on the news.
STEWART: How old are you?
CARLSON: Thirty-five.
STEWART: And you wear a bow tie.
(LAUGHTER)
(APPLAUSE)
CARLSON: Yes, I do. I do.
STEWART: So this is...
CARLSON: I know. I know. I know. You're a...
(CROSSTALK)
STEWART: So this is theater.
CARLSON: Now, let me just...
(CROSSTALK)
CARLSON: Now, come on.
STEWART: Now, listen, I'm not suggesting that you're not a smart guy, because those are not easy to tie.
CARLSON: They're difficult.
(LAUGHTER)
STEWART: But the thing is that this -- you're doing theater, when you should be doing debate, which would be great.
BEGALA: We do, do...
(CROSSTALK)
STEWART: It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.
CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?
STEWART: Absolutely.
CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you...
(CROSSTALK)
STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.
(LAUGHTER)
STEWART: What is wrong with you?
jon stewart is a champ. so, sorry for all the scrolling down. i got carried away with the cut/paste...but i can never really trust you to click my links, can i? right.

and so we have yet another vacation coming up - the first week of november (so oct 30-nov 8, counting the weekends). but we're really all working very hard here. roman called me from moscow last night and invited me to come visit him, which i'm planning on doing as the rest of the americans here are planning travels in russia and abroad. that's something to look forward to. if anyone else will be in moscow - let me know.

i guess one more interesting story before i go. well i don't know, i liked it. i was walking home from net zone after trying to catch the baseball game, and i ducked into this little store built into one of the city's old fortress towers. two guys in the store noticed my accent and started asking me questions and the like. anyway that's kind of the one nice thing about being in yaroslavl - a lot of people are genuinely interested in talking. they closed the little magazine in my honor and we sat around inside and talked for about 3 hours. the last hour and a half was dedicated to discussing the peculiarities of russian and american vulgarity, and the problems in translation. among the things i might have agreed to: going to shinnik's last football match, going to their billiards club, and going out with them again yesterday. i don't really know, it was getting late. so we'll see how that turns out. i'm am tired. so if you happen to me my favourite londoner, apologies. i'm going home to sleep. but i'll write back soon.